Innovation Living & Learning Community
Eat, Sleep, & Live with Engineering & Computing
Join the Innovation Living-Learning Community! Sponsored by the College of Engineering & Computing, the Innovation Living and Learning Community (LLC) is an opportunity for first-year engineering and computing students to live together at Southern Pines. Innovation LLC allows students to increase their academic performance while learning more about your major, career, and networking.
Innovation LLC Opportunities
- Upperclassmen Peer Mentors
- Dinner with the Dean, Upperclassmen, & Alumni
- Faculty Chats
- Site visits to local engineering and computing companies
Women and students from culturally diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply for one of the limited spaces. Learn more about the advantages of the Innovation Living Learning Community.
A Unique Housing Opportunity Just For Engineering & Computing Students
Co-sponsored by University Housing and the College of Engineering & Computing, the Innovation Living-Learning Community is a great way for engineering and computing students to successfully transition to college life, meet lifelong friends, and academically succeed in their first year. Not only does participating in the Innovation LLC give you a supportive peer network from your first day on campus, but it also earns you VIP access to some amazing common courses, special events, socials, and community competitions.
Benefits of Living in the Innovation LLC
- Research has shown that students who participate in a Living-Learning Community (LLC) are more likely to have higher GPAs, better retention rates, and a greater likelihood of graduation within 4 years than their non-LLC peers.
- By living in this community, you will be right across the hall from a lot of your classmates. Because you’ll be in a lot of the same classes together, you’ll have an easier time finding study partners and answers to your class questions.
- Students in this community participate in activities that help them explore and/or solidify their major choice, form meaningful relationships with faculty outside the classroom, and meet campus and community members (faculty, upperclassman, alumni, employers) who become their future professional network. Because of this, our Innovation students go on to find great co-op and internship opportunities in future years. Some of our past activities have included the Annual Innovation Majors Night, Upperclassman Panels, Dinner with the Provost, Alumni Night, and tours of local companies.
- This community is welcoming and inclusive of all students. Many of our female-identifying students take part in our Women in STEM Night (co-sponsored by the Lab and Honors LLCs) and attending our Innovation Student Organization Fair helps students from all backgrounds find organizations that meet their professional and cultural needs.
- If you like being hands on, you’ll love taking part in our BUILD competitions. In the past, we’ve hosted the Annual Eggdrop Challenge and had community competitions for best paper airplanes, sturdiest balsa wood bridges, tallest spaghetti towers, and best range catapults!
Location: The community is located on the Statesboro campus in Southern Pines.
Requirements: A declared major in the College of Engineering & Computing, participation in early move-in / welcome events in August, and participation in Innovation common courses / events during the school year
Last updated: 1/14/2021