Accelerated Bachelor’s to Master’s
The Accelerated Bachelor’s to Master’s (ABM) program provides qualified undergraduate students the opportunity to begin graduate studies in their senior year and simultaneously satisfy some remaining requirements for the bachelor’s degree.
Often called a 4+1 program, the ABM program enables students to complete an undergraduate and graduate degree in as few as 5 years.
Degree: BSME + MSME
Credit Hours: 151
Completion time: 10 semesters (5 years)
ABM Program Requirements
A student must apply and be admitted into this program in the semester preceding the beginning of the ABM program. To be eligible, students must have completed at least 24 hours of coursework in the discipline or related field of the Master’s degree.
A student may use up to 9 credit hours of graduate-level courses offered within a single degree program to meet the requirements of both bachelor’s and master’s degrees. However, the two programs must have at least 150 unique hours.
An undergraduate student enrolled in graduate classes is limited to 6 credit hours of graduate coursework per term.
The specific requirements of the ABM program can be found below.
- Students in the ABM program may share up to 9 credit hours between the BSME and MSME degree programs.
- The shared credits must be from courses at the MENG 5000G level and include MENG 5811G (1 credit), MENG 5822G (2 credits), and up to two additional MENG5000G-level courses (2×3=6 credits).
- There must be at least 150 unique hours between the two programs.
- Students must meet both BSME degree requirements and MSME degree requirements (thesis or non-thesis).
- Students must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.00 in all graduate-level coursework.
- Students in the ABM program are limited to 6 credit hours of graduate coursework per term.
Courses and Curriculum Requirements
For regular admission to the Accelerated Bachelor’s to the Master’s of Science in Mechanical Engineering (ABM-MSME) degree program, the applicant must:
- Be a current student in the undergraduate Mechanical Engineering program at Georgia Southern.
- Have completed no less than 25 and no more than 50 credit hours of ENGR and MENG coursework, and
- Have an institutional GPA of at least 3.00.
To apply to the ABM program,
- Current students in the BSME program at Georgia Southern may apply to the ABM program through the College of Graduate Studies.
- Please note that students admitted to the ABM program are not classified as graduate students until completion of all undergraduate degree requirements and graduation from the BSME program.
- Students in the ABM program will not have to re-apply for the graduate program upon completion of the BSME degree program.
Last updated: 10/31/2022