Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering (BSCpE)
Advance your career with a degree in one of the most innovative and essential technology fields!
Format: In person at Statesboro Campus
Credit Hours: 130
Georgia Southern’s Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering program blends classroom instruction with hands-on laboratory experience. You will explore a broad curriculum that emphasizes the application of engineering principles and analysis and design skills to solve problems in a cutting-edge field. The program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET.
With training in subjects including analog and digital circuits, computer architecture, robotics, software engineering and more, you’ll gain the tools necessary to put ideas into action and real-world solutions. Courses in this program are available on both the Armstrong and Statesboro Campuses. However, the final two years of the degree must be completed in Statesboro.
Program Educational Objectives
The computer engineering program at Georgia Southern will enable you to accomplish the following.
- Be successfully employed in the computer engineering field or pursue relevant graduate degrees such as in engineering, business, or science.
- Be proficient in the design and implementation of computer systems using modern tools and proper documentation and testing procedures.
- Draw upon a broad base of knowledge in science and engineering to provide viable solutions within the appropriate technological, global, societal, ethical, and organizational context.
- Expand your capabilities and knowledge of contemporary issues through continuing education or other lifelong learning experiences including advanced training or licensing.
- Effectively communicate and work in cross-functional teams while conducting yourself with high standards of ethics and professional responsibility.
The following are the student outcomes (SOs) that you are expected to possess the following skills upon graduation.
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
What is Computer Engineering?
Computer engineering integrates electronic engineering with computer sciences to create solutions for modern computer systems and other technological devices. Engineers in this field research, design, develop and test components, such as processors, circuit boards, memory devices, networks and routers, and ensure they are seamlessly integrated into computer and network systems.
With a bachelor degree in computer engineering from Georgia Southern, you’ll be qualified to develop new computer hardware, design and implement software applications, and enhance the capabilities of networks and computer systems to make them safer, more powerful, and more efficient.
Jobs in Computer Engineering
The Bachelor of Science degree in computer engineering trains you for a wide variety of careers in diverse industries, including communication equipment, cyber security, aerospace, government and military sectors, and healthcare systems. You will gain the skills and exposure to applied research to work in positions such as:
- Hardware engineer
- Software engineer
- Systems analyst
- Firmware engineer
- Applications developer
- ASIC design engineer
- Technical support specialist
- Web developer
- Network technician
- Software developer
- Systems engineer
- Programmer analyst
How Much Do Computer Engineers Make?
Computer engineering salaries are among the highest in the engineering field. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual pay for computer engineers in 2020 was $119,560 per year. As of 2018 there are approximately 66,200 jobs in the computer hardware engineering field with a projected growth rate of 2% over the next decade.
$128,170 per year
Career opportunities exist in engineering research and development, product design, digital system design and integration, engineering management, and engineering consultancy, among others.
B.S. Degree in Computer Engineering Program Details
Credits for core courses are transferable across all schools within the University System of Georgia.
University Orientation course (FYE 1220) is still required, which is unique to Georgia Southern, for those students who transfer less than 30 semester credit hours.
University core capstone course (CORE 2000) is a one-hour required course, prerequisite is 36 earned credit hours including 3 hours from AREA B.
Any major-specific requirements will be evaluated by the Admissions Office and/or the major department, and appropriate credit will be assigned.
Students who transfer from outside of the University System of Georgia will be evaluated by the Admission Office and/or the major department, and the appropriate transfer credit will be assigned.
- A minimum of 130 hours is required for graduation.
- The requirements of the electrical engineering program must be satisfied.
- A minimum of 30 hours of upper-division credits must be earned at Georgia Southern.
Do you have questions? Contact us!
Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
Last updated: 1/28/2023