research: noun – the systematic investigation into and study of materials and sources in order to establish facts and reach new conclusions
verb – investigate systematically; discover facts by investigation source: Dictionary.com
Why conduct research as a student?
- explore career fields
- experience one-on-one mentorship with faculty
- develop critical-thinking, problem-solving, and creativity skills
- work independently or in a team
- consider interdisciplinary collaboration
- understand hypothesis-driven, evidence-based learning
- network with business & industry professionals
- compete for research awards
How do I get started with a research project?
Check out our College’s Research Labs to find out about equipment available to students on our campuses.
Scroll through the Research Experts to learn more about the topics our faculty are researching.
Talk with your engineering or computing faculty about your research aspirations. Find a Faculty Mentor to work with you.
2021 Student Research Symposium
Both undergraduate and graduate students in the College presented research projects/posters to business & industry professionals, faculty, advisory committee members, and student peers at our annual Student Research Symposium.
This year the Symposium went virtual! For a summary of the very successful Symposium and Awards ceremony, visit: symposium
Advisory committee members and industry professionals are invited to participate in several ways:
- Host an information session or meet-and-greet with students from the College and/or one of our student organizations
- Sponsor a Symposium award
- Sponsor an aspect of the Symposium event, and ensure that funding for student research continues at Georgia Southern
- Review and judge the presentations via the Populy mobile app
- Talk with the students at the reception following the award ceremony
Contact Dr. Reinhold Gerbsch at firstname.lastname@example.org or 912-478-5474 for more information about these opportunities..
- Undergraduate Research Awards – Students submit research proposals early each fall semester; The College Research Committee awards research funds for student research supplies and materials.
- Assistants in Research Labs – Faculty-directed research labs in the College of Engineering & Computing often use student assistants. Working in a lab provides students with additional access to conduct research with faculty experts.
Last updated: 6/17/2021