Engineering & Research Building
The new Engineering and Research Building opened in January 2021.
Officially opened on January 8, 2021, the Engineering & Research Building is the newest in the College’s suite of buildings. This 135,000 square foot state-of-the-art building is home to the Department of Manufacturing Engineering, as well as several Mechanical Engineering faculty. The ERB is designed to serve as an epicenter for engineering excellence and innovation, and to facilitate academic and institutional partnerships by inspiring creating engineering solutions. It comprises 21 cutting-edge instructional research labs including high bay areas and a precision manufacturing/Class 10,000 clean lab, 25 academic learning spaces, a conference center/seminar space, configurable labs and research areas, and a renewable energy rooftop lab.
Faculty & students will work on groundbreaking research to support existing industries and attract new companies to the region by
- providing resources for engineering faculty with technical expertise
- expanding access to hands-on labs to track project progress
- creating opportunities for innovation on customized projects with practical applications
- exploring applied research projects designed to support the manufacturing infrastructure in Georgia
Labs for Research, Learning & Production
- High bay space (see rendering below) for Large Scale projects
- Metal and Plastic Additive Manufacturing Labs
- Industrial Instrumentation & Controls Lab
- Instrumentation & Controls Lab
- Joining & Welding Lab
- Materials Characterization Lab
- Nano Materials & Manufacturing Lab
- Traditional, CNC Machining & Finishing Labs
- Renewable Energy Roof Deck lab – Solar, Wind, Weather
Artist rendering of first floor lobby looking into the high-bay space.
Find out more about this facility, the construction phases, and opportunities to partner
Contact Reinhold Gerbsch,
Director of Industrial Relations
RGerbsch@GeorgiaSouthern.edu or 912-478-5474
Last updated: 6/17/2021